The purpose of this assignment is for students to:
1. Improve their ability to formulate diagnoses based on clinical presentation of patients
2. Design relevant treatment plan
3. Link pathophysiologic concepts to medication choices
4. Collaborate without outside providers and resources
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Describe the psychodynamic principles of alcohol, opioids, stimulants and benzodiazepines
2. Discuss harm reduction principles in SUD
3. Discuss FDA approved treatment options for SUD
4. List the benefits of using medication assisted treatment (MAT) for SUD
5. Identify resources to complete the DATA waiver process
6. Discuss when and how to taper patients off of common addictive medications, such as benzodiazepines and psychostimulants
7. Identify treatment options for special populations
Complete the following case studies:
1. The patient is a 58-year-old woman with chronic pain due to inflammatory arthritis. She presents for her first appointment with you in a primary care office. She states that she is aware that she is asking for an early refill of her Oxycontin however she is traveling out of state and she is concerned that she may have a flare up on her trip.
Apply the steps in SBIRT to this scenario
Identify additional questions for this patient
Develop a treatment plan for this patient
2.The patient is a 24-year-old man brought to your clinic by his family for an evaluation. The patient states that he is struggling with prescription pain pills and wants help. He appears to be in opioid withdrawal; he describes anorexia and diarrhea, he is yawning and sweating upon examination. He scores 15 on the Clinical Opioid Withdrawal Scale (COWS), indicating moderate withdrawal.
Initiate office-based buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone) with a plan for observation.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more